Riverside Local Schools
Educating Excellence!

Coaching Certifications

  • Coaching Certifications

    In order to coach here at Riverside you will need:
    • Fundamental of Coaching
    • CPR
    • Sudden Cardiac Arrest
    • First Aid, Health & Safety (this is in addition to above CPR)
    • Concussion Training
    • Pupil Activity Permit (this is a permit issued by the ODE, must take Concussion and First Aid for Coaching to obtain this permit)
    • FBI/BCI – this must be done here in our Central Office.  ODE will not accept paper copies.
    1) Fundamentals of Coaching
    This is a one time course required after January 1, 2010.   You can take it on-line on the NHFH website with a $65.00 fee.    
    Website:  http://www.nfhslearn.com  Go to: ‘Courses’ > “Fundamentals of Coaching’

    2) CPR & First Aid Certification
    This can be taken in combination with above Pupil Activity Permit course, or any American Red Cross/American Heart Association class.   The fee is usually around $10-$15 dollars.  The American Red Cross is good for 1 year from issue date, and the American Heart Association is good for 2 years from issue date.   Or take online at American CPR Care Association  www.cprcare.com (CPR/AED course approximate $40.00).
    3) FBI/BCI
    Call the district office (Marlo 352-0668 ext. 8300)  and schedule a time to come in to have your fingerprints taken.   They will send your prints to the Ohio Department of Education.   If you do not teach in the district, you must be fingerprinted every year.  Approximate $55.00
    4) Concussion Course
    The following free online training courses have been approved by the Ohio Department of Health for coaches and contest officials: National Federation of State High School Associations Concussion in Sports - What you Need to Know: http://www.nfhslearn.com   This free online course is available through the NFHS.   Click the “order here” button, and complete a brief registration form to take the course.   When you have completed and passed the course, you have the option of printing a certificate of completion.   Please print course certificate for our records.  This is a FREE course.
    5) Sudden Cardiac Arrest 
    Log onto NFHSlearn.com and take the course Sudden Cardiac Arrest  in NFHSlearn.com.   Search for Sudden Cardiac Arrest.  This is a FREE course

    6) First Aid , Health and Safety (Pupil Activity Supervisor Permit Program)
    This is a course that is required every three years for all high school and middle school coaches in Ohio. This class is given by LakeHealth at various times throughout the year.   The PAP course through Lake Hospital is free for contracted schools.  You can also take this PAP course on-line (First Aid for Coaches) at http://www.nfhslearn.com .   Search courses for First Aid, Health and Safety.   THIS IS NOT THE SAME AS CPR/FIRST AID, this is an additional course.  The fee on-line is $45.00.

    Pupil Activity Permit
    VERY IMPORTANT:  After taking the above courses and receiving your certificate of completion, you need to go online to the Ohio Department of Education and apply or renew your final certificate, a Pupil Activity Permit.  This is an online application process.    The cost of this application is $45.  After you submit, someone from Riverside Central Office will electronically sign it.
    Below are detailed instructions on how to go on the ODE website and apply for your Pupil Activity Permit.

    Ohio Department of Education – OH/ID
    Beginning with January of 2014, the Ohio Department of Education no longer will accept paper applications for Pupil Activity and other licenses.  Below you will find the process for which to either “Renew” or apply for his/her first permit.
    Step 1: Go to the website www.education.ohio.gov
    Step 2: You will see Login at the very top of the page.  Click on Login
    Step 3: Click on OH/ID Portal
    Step 4: Enter user name and password and click Log In.  If you do not have an OH/ID account, Click Create New Account and follow the instructions to create one.  
    Click here to view the Department of Education OHID Portal Help webpage for additional assistance (see How to Create a New OHID Account and Department of Education Profile under Resources). Click the Forgot username/password? link if you do not remember your username or password.
    GO – Application Instructions
    • Make sure you have a OH|ID account. If you are certain you do not have a OH|ID account, set one up following the instructions here
    • If you have a OH|ID account but do not remember the user name or password, click on the "Forgot Password" link on the OH|ID portal to reset your password. Please do not set up a second OH|ID account. If you need assistance, you may contact (877) 644-6338 or [email protected].
    • IRN Riverside Local - 047894
    • Access your OH|ID account.
    • Click Educator Licensure and Records (CORE).
    • Complete the online application from your CORE Dashboard.
    • See the CORE User Manual for complete instructions.
    Read More